Knowing the right clothing to wear in your headshots can be a tough task for some, especially if you haven't been blessed with what they call the "style gene". But that's why you're reading this, to help you prepare your wardrobe for the photoshoot. While reading these tips, remember this number one rule: Keep it simple!
1. Stay away from prints and bold patterns since these will distract from you. Also limit (or avoid altogether) accessories for the same reason.
2. Solid colors always work best on camera (still or video). Avoid logos or typeset.
3. For these purposes, color is your best friend! Find a color that works best with your skin tone.
4. Wear clothing that flatters your figure. Loose clothing does not work well on camera and actually makes you look bigger than you are -- fitted is the way to go!
5. Make sure that clothes are clean and wrinkle free! The camera will pick up wrinkles.
6. The last, and maybe most important tip, is to wear clothing that you feel comfortable in! If you are uncomfortable in an outfit, that will come out on camera. You will get the best shots if you are confident and feel great!
Below are examples of what to wear and what not to wear to your headshot session.
Erika Ludwig, a Minnesota based photographer, tells you how to prepare and what to bring to a headshot session. She has also attatched several photos of great headshot examples to give you ideas!
What pieces in your closet are your go-to choices for auditions and your marketing or promo materials?